Monday, June 2, 2008

Behold I have set before you the Life and the good the Death and the bad - part two.

This is not really a part two so much as another observation that I would like to make about the mikrah in devarim . I think it is interesting to note the lashon of the verse, the pasuk does not say " behold I have set before you life and good death and bad" but rather it says " Behold I have set before you the life and the good , the death and the bad". Did you catch the difference? The verse describes these two choices as either THE life and THE good, or conversely THE death and The bad. The use of 'the' instead of just saying life and good, death and bad, seems to be a further pointer to the meaning of the verse. Rationality and intellectual living is THE Life that man was created for, it is THE GOOD. On the other hand the life of an animal is in reality THE Death of man and THE BAD, the worst possible engagement available to him.

I guess that was a simple point but perhaps it needed to be said again...

No comments: